Red Ring Binder containing news cuttings etc

  • Estate Agents’ cuttings of properties for sale
  • Photo of Bishop Beveridge Almshouses gate inscriptions
  • Churches – Holy Trinity website, leaflet, bells
  • Kenneth Brown murder 23/9/1994
  • Domesday Book cabinet presented to Parish Council 16/12/94
  • Floods and Flood Alleviation in Slash Lane 13/5/94 and 15/1/99
  • Footpath through the Rookery 10/3/00
  • Footbridge over weir 26/9/97, 28/11/97
  • Footpath across Mill Meadow (Clifford van Hein) 16/9/94
  • Level crossing dangers and horses 10/1/92
  • Fossil Trail 26/1/01
  • Opening Haldane Food factory 25/6/93
  • Extract from John Nichols’ History of Antiquities of County of Leicestershire p.61-62
  • Bygone Barrow Volume 2 Barry and John Wilford pub. 4/8/95 (includes ref. To Johnnie Johnson born 12 Warner St.)
  • Shopping in Barrow 14/3/90 ( ref. To Ann Noel 12 High St. and Broadweave 265 Sileby Road Barrow Industrial Estate)
  • East Midlands Villages B. on S. Mac Cherry Leicester Graphic 4/1979
  • British Gypsum lorries banned from the village 16/7/93
  • Mary Payne - Library Aide retires 13/3/98
  • Concrete for the tube trains ref. to lime/Don Mitchell runs Harris Garage/Harry Lockwood/Beeching /Arthur & Elsie Bransten of Martin Ave lived in Barrow since 1953/memorial to Andrew Dolan gunsmith to Queen Anne in closed cemetery/schools/British Gypsum from Leics Advertiser 29/5/81
  • Microfiche copies of parish register, baptisms, marriages and deaths – Loughborough Echo 10/1/92 ref Rev. Steven Mitchell
  • Mill House (17th Century) on sale 7/9/01 Echo page 66
  • Subsidence between Barrow & Sileby near Redland Aggregates Echo 12/8/87 page 9
  • Museum in Roundhouse ref. to Village Map – Echo 18/10/96/ 8/11/96,
  • Ferrari on fire - Echo 28/5/95
  • Rev. Steven Mitchell no longer believes in God Sunday Times Nov. 97
  • Sharon Greasley killed in car crash Echo 15/12/95
  • Brian Henman resigns from Conservative Party Echo 21/10/94 and 28/10/94
  • George Kitchen 85 still follows Quorn Hunt (ref. joint hunt master Charles Geary, Mr Mrs John Pepper)
  • Barrow station re opened Leics Mercury 12/8/95
  • Redland Aggregates new loco named Chloe Jade after Danny Murray’s granddaughter Echo 12/5/95
  • Hall Orchard School commemorates arrival of railway 18/5/90
  • Subsidence 3-5 Church St. listed building (ref. Mrs Rebecca Turner and Dai Thomas Echo 16/4/93
  • Barrow and District Twinning Association 11/96
  • Signing Twinning document Echo 1/8/97
  • Barrow Workhouse and Poor Law Union article by Peter Higginbotham
  • Jo Jo the swan knocks for breakfast at Proctor’s Pleasure Park café. 5 shillings for family day out
  • Report of Keith Banbury 11 New St. Barrow’s 10th Queen’s Scout and Peter Clarke 21 son of George Clarke GSL of Sileby Rd. Loughborough Monitor 17/4/1959
  • Beveridge Old People’s Club buy Adult School ten years after the club was founded. The Adult School closed with only two pupils - President Herbert Haseldine aged 77 of 39 Warner St. and Mr W.Evans of Sileby Lane Barrow. Ramsey MacDonald once visited the Adult School. (photos of building and Mr Haseldine) 29/7/63
  • Rear view of terrace near 3 Crowns where old house and stables were demolished. Sketch of backs Loughborough Echo 11/63
  • Falstaff house previously called Forest View and previously Black Swan coaching inn – parts 400 years old owned by Eric Pinkett conductor and music adviser (sketch by T.A. Warbis) Echo 8/66
  • Riverside Inn - originally boathouse part 200 years old now restaurant and inn licensee Mr A.D. Moore Leic. Advertiser 10/10/80
  • Babington Almhouses to be converted into 5 self contained flats Chair of trustees Lt.Col. C.H. Martin, Vice Chair Mr H.O. Pell 10/3/61 Loughborough and Shepshed Echo
  • Advert offering above flats to 3 married couples and 2 batchelors or widowers for £1 per week. 13/6/61
  • Closure of part of churchyard 3/1/64
  • Bells of Holy Trinity photo and report The Ringing World Vol.XLVIII No.3204 Sept.22nd 1972 pp1&2
  • Baptist Church built 1822 – plans to extend. Sketch by Brian Hollingshead Leic Mercury 28/9/79
  • Jerusalem Island sold by Parish Council to L.C.C. for traffic island ref. H.O. Pell, Dr E. Sherriffs, A.E. Simpson 15/9/61
  • Community Association approved fixed price contract of £28,552 for Wilson’s of Ibstock to build Community Centre at Humphrey Perkins. Leics Education Authority promised £10,000, Charnwood Borough Council £6000, Barrow Parish Council £6000 and Barrow C.A. £6000. The C.A. had been fundraising since 1972. 3/3/78 Advertiser
  • Completion of £31,000 Community Centre. Opened by Rev. Norman Peck formerly Barrow Methodist minister and Chair of C.A. 1971-6 23/2/79 Advertiser
  • £160, 000 Health Centre will cater for more than 6000 people. 21/9/79 Leic. Advertiser
  • Jerusalem Island need cleanup undated
  • Notice of closure of footpath and opening two new ones Min of Transport Ref.HLL70/21/049 Barrow R.D.C. 12/64
  • Petition from 200 Clifford van Hien replaces kissing gate with stile and puts up barbed wire in Mill Meadow Ref to Mary Whiley and Walter Allibone 22/5/87 Echo
  • Protest rejected 17/7/87 Echo
  • Barbed wire must be removed 24/7/87 & 31/7/87 Echo
  • Parish says no to meeting on K43 footpath – The Slabs ref Harold Drury and Virginia Willcocks 16/6/1989 Echo
  • Mr & Mrs Eric Pinkett, Falstaff, 2 Bridge St. breed fox terriers for export
  • Barrow church ref Rev. W.H. Dew & Mrs Dew, Mrs C. Harris wife of H.P. Head, Mrs M. Lockton, H. Widdowson, H. Phillips, Bernard Payne, Captain & Mrs C.F. Huston, Ballyards, B on S, George Watts, Charles Lovatt, Mrs F.E. Davies source unknown
  • Report and photo of 1795 reading of the Riot Act in Barrow churchyard. 24/3/56 Leic Advertiser 18/1/57 Loughborough & Shepshed Echo
  • Leics villages – B on S history ref John Turlington, Blacksmith over 80 still working June 1957 Leics Graphic
  • Mary and Ronald Tate Leicester solicitor live in Old Rectory Leicester Graphic
  • Barrow history ref. H.P.School being bilateral Head C. Harris aged 41, 900 pupils
  • Barrow C of E Junior School 180 pupils Head E.J. Barker
  • Beveridge House well ref. Mr Mrs George Henry Ryder 70, Mrs Doris Everest, son Patrick 27 and his wife Brenda 24 17/4/1959 Loughborough Monitor
  • Barrow history – Leic Advertiser 8/8/75 photos including Rev. Maurice Woodward, Alan Nicholl at Navigation, Middleton family, Bill King and Fred Whitby, Trap landlord & quarryman’s son & grandson, Barrow scouts with Barry Wilford & Colin Grant
  • Barrow history Leic. Graphic 1979 mentions Three Crowns Tankard Club charity provided tables for B.B. Club
  • Village Voice Summer 1989 mentions Mill owned by Mr Farnham of Quorn Hall sold to George Morton of Silby for £1750 – last owner C. Goodacre grinding gypsum
  • Quorn Hunt move to Kirby Bellars after 200 years in Pawdy Lane mentions Lord Crawshaw chair of Hunt & pictures kennelman Darren Beeney Echo 10/2/89
  • Redland conveyor belt criticised Adv. 10/3/78
  • Redland Aggrgates Ltd to improve railhead at Barrow Leics Adv. 14/9/79
  • Haldane Foods Ltd in Hayhill produce non meat freeze dried for Fiennes Arctic expedition pictures Brian Welsby & Janice Elson Loughborough Mail 14/1/88
  • Soar Valley Pattern Co. Ltd 12-14 Hayhill bankrupt Echo 29/1/88
  • Direct Foods exporting rice to China pictures Peter Fitch Man. Dir. & mentions Lian Dowling Echo 2/9/88
  • Dinner pays tribute to Barrow RDC 10/3/61
  • Parish Council report names Mr H.O. Pell, Miss Oswin, Miss Walker, Messrs G.B. Green, H. Lockwood, T.F. Lewin, W. James, old churchyard, street lamps, walls in jetties, No Waiting signs in Grove Lane 15/11/?63
  • P.C. H.O. Pell 32 years & G.B. Green 21 years service, estimate for new gates to Cotes Rd. playing fields & 4 teak seats in Garden of Rest, Mr Branston ? High St. sidewalk 10/6/66
  • Barrow kipper for Coronation The Times 16/10/57
  • Gypsum mining & plasterboard factory plan criticised by Ray Green who lives at Breachfield 84 Melton Rd. Leic Mercury 28/2/78
  • Protest meeting of 600 chaired by Ray Green, Stuart Morrison quoted Leic Mercury
  • And again Brian Henman Adv 17/3/78 & 15/3/78
  • Parish Council silent on gypsum mine plans Adv 10/3/78
  • Residents fund raise for legal battle Adv 28/4/78
  • Protest march planned mentions Graham Clarke Leic. Adv 12/5/78
  • Michael Latham – Melton M.P. speaks of objectors rights 26/5/78
  • Meeting Adv 22/9/78
  • Environment Committee of L.C.C. recommend refusal of mine Adv 12/1/79
  • Barrow Council may need loan for legal fees mentions Edgar Briggs parish clerk, Oliver Gamble, Michael Gilbert, Vice chair Alan Easton Adv 16/3/79
  • Planning Inquiry Adv 7/9/79
  • Bus run to inquiry in Loughborough Adv 14/9/79
  • Public inquiry ended Adv 28/9/79
  • Quorn Hunt withdraws objection Adv 28/9/79
  • British Gypsum wants 2 years of road transport from mine Adv 8/5/81
  • Access road site discussed ref. To Seagrave Echo 31/7/87
  • Two metre high tunnels unearthed in Sileby Rd. could be extensive Extra 19/8/87
  • Collapse drains stream and pool - pictures Clare Patrick Echo 28/8/87 p22 & 59
  • Carp pool level drops 10 feet Delph Angling Club Sid Fox, farmer P. Astill marsh dry 28/8/87
  • Map 28/8/87
  • Severn Trent Water investigated pollution in canal 28/8/87
  • L.C.C. cost £100,000 to repair Sileby Road mentions Barrow C.C. Eric Lodge, Meadow Farm Marina owner Gordon Scholes & P.C. Chair Brian Henman Echo 4/9/87
  • Report on safety tests on roads Echo 15/1/88
  • Report on safety tests lodged in Barrow Library Trader 20/1/88
  • Charnwood Borough Council does not object to British Gypsum carrying rock by road mentions Parish Council Chairman Harold Dury Trader 10/2/88
  • Tom Corbett, Echo correspondent for 42 years,settles in Barrow at The Haven history and names Mr Clarke British Gypsum Mills 1891, Mary Hand married Corbett 1895, Upton Goodacre friend of T.C., John Raven manager at lime works, W. Presgrave Barrow stationmaster, Black and Drivers – Henry Black lived Hazlemere and Driver at The Croft
  • Major William Martin, The Lodge – Mountsorrel Granite gave Mill Lane in exchange for Mucky Lane, children’s recreation ground, bandstand and seats.
  • General Chippendale was in the Indian Mutiny lived in Chippendale House opposite Charity Farm owned by Mr Kimber
  • Mr & Mrs Stuart Thompson The Mount, Lawyer Woolley Barrowcliffe, Mr & Mrs George Braund, Strancliffe known as manufacturer of underwear at Loughborough.
  • Vicar Frank Thompson, wardens William James and William Lovett.
  • Rev. Alford at Baptist Church, John Simpkin Sunday School Superintendent
  • Herbert Herod, John Friar
  • Wesleyan Methodist Church Robert Jackson & Mr Hardy, E.Hardy, H. Squires, Tom Squires, Mr & Mrs Benton,
  • Mr & Mrs Tom Burrows at Primitive Methodist Church
  • Humphrey Perkins Grammar School
  • 1894 First chainless cycle constructed by Geoffrey Ellis of The Rookery and Rev. Foord Kelcey of Quorn for the Royal Exhibition
  • Strong man Tom Briggs at The Willows
  • Coal wharf
  • Warner St. and New St. were green fields only house on the corner George Chapman’s beer-off
  • Sileby Road past the factory odd houses – Lindsey Hull’s, John Corby, Netherfields Farm
  • Old Catsic = Cotes Road
  • Barrow Wakes, 8 pubs, stockingers, post masters, roadman Echo 24/11/50
  • John Thomas Kitchen 159 Sileby Road died aged 86 grocery and off licence 17/11/64
  • Clive Allcock-Bowden – artist Leic Graphic 5/84
  • Sue Boddy barmaid at Hammer and Pincers Lough. News 11/2/87
  • Gordon Underwood opens The Coffee Shop in Barrow High St. Mail 9/6/85
  • Memorial service for Robert Dunn Head Teacher H.P.G.S. Echo 24/6/88
  • Colin Jefferies Head at Hall Orchard School retires after 17 years Echo 7/7/89
  • Hammer and Pincers regains licence 10/3/67
  • Railway Inn = Soar Bridge Inn Mr & Mrs K Halliday - drawing Echo 26/10/62
  • Three Crowns Charlie and Olive Johnson drawing Echo 9/63
  • Catsic Lane drawn by Warbis Echo 31/1/58
  • North Street drawing by Warbi Echo 20/8/65
  • Opposition to A6 trunk road bypass Trader 13/1/88
  • Wilkinson says Grammar School will stay – unveiling statue of boy and girl by Norman Laws student at Leicester College of Art.
  • School 238 years old no attribute
  • Feb. 22nd 1908 school inspected Echo 22/2/58
  • Origins of HPSchool Echo 28/2/58
  • HPS fights to retain Grammar School status Mercury 27/11/64
  • Menswear and dry cleaners opens in High St. Mail 23/6/88
  • Barrow W.I. celebrates 40th birthday Mesdames Betty Stevenson, Edna Gilbert, Marjorie Lockton, Frances Davis, Vera Bowker, Margery Condon, Ada Moss Echo 26/5/89
  • Kinch Buses Graphic 3/83
  • G.K. Kinch Coaches purpose built in Barrow Echo 13/2/87
  • Barrow’s Harry Gudger 81 1st Battalion North Leicestershire Home Guard photo Mercury 1/3/2001
  • Bricklayer German P.O.W.s left message at John Ellis & Sons Echo date unknown

Previous menu page: Card Index File (right hand box)
Next page: Red Box File

 

Last Updated. 21-February-2017 By admin