3. Land purchases

 

The first sale of land to the Trustees of the church was from Mr William Whyman (Blacksmith) on 13 April 1822 for £28 4s 9d (see photograph of original). Mrs Rose Swift who lives in Highfields, and whose late father was the village blacksmith is a descendant of the Mr Whyman who sold the ground to the trustees for the building of the first church in "

Trustees were:

Thomas Chapman: Farmer

 Joseph Balm: lace manufacturer

Thomas Truman: grocer

 Edward Pywell: schoolmaster all of Quorndon

Wlliam Rennocks: lace maker

William Bratby: lace maker

Thomas Kirkman: framework knitter

William Tacey: framework knitter

John Dix: cordwainer

Joseph Hogg: Yeoman all of Barrow

John Dilms: weaver

John Preston of Mountsorrell

The chapel was established for the use of dissenters of the Denomination of General Baptist of the New Connexion.

On 9 November 1872 a piece of land was conveyed to new trustees; the vendor being William Hickling. (The present church building was built on this land)

Trustees were:

William Oswin : cordwainer

 Joseph Smith ;joiner

George Cross: farmer 

William Swallow: Gardener all of Barrow 

Herbert Herrod: joiner 

John Sharp: framework knitter 

George Hubbard: labourer 

Joseph Friar: farmer

William Friar of Coalville

Thomas Parkinson: baker

John Sleath Smith: miller

Henry Tacey: brush manufacturer

all of Quorndon 

John Webster; manufacturer

A further Conveyance took place on 10 April 1879 of a piece of land from Sidney Crossley, who owned The Mount', High Street and whose land adjoined the chapel building.

Trustees were:

John Smith: joiner

George Cross:farmer of Barrow

William Swallow: house agents now of Loughborough

Herbert Herrod: joiner 

John Sharp: framework knitter

George Hubbard: labourer all of Barrow 

Joseph Friar: farmer

William Friar: clerk now of Ipswich 

Thomas Parkinson: baker but now gentleman of Quorn 

John Sleath Smith: miller now of Mountsorrel

Henry Tacey: brush manufacturer of Quorndon

John Webster: manufacturer Nottingham

It is interesting to note that Mr Parkinson earned enough money as a Baker to become a Gentleman.

On 23 May 1902, the Trustees of Bishop Beveridge Charity transferred to the Trustees of the Chapel a large plot adjoining the Chapel (see plan ).

Trustees were:

Herbert Herrod John Sharpe George Hubbard Joseph Frier William Frier John Sleath Smith

Sanitary Inspector, formerly Joiner Labourer, formerly Framework knitter Signalman, formerly Labourer Coal Merchant, formerly Farmer Clerk, now living in Birmingham Miller, now of Mountsorrel

It is interesting to see the social changes which occurred with industrial change.

Trustees in 1933

John Thomas Ball Builder

John Alfred Lee Chauffeur

John Edmund Frier Mechanic all of Barrow

Harry York Station Master

Frederick William Earl Lime Works Manager

Richard Henry Bennett Assistant Overseer

James Smith Signalman of Sileby

George Gamble Builder

Henry Hulse North Provision Dealer all of Quorn

Thomas Clayton Dexter Woodworker

George Hubbard of Peterborough

In January 1940

The East Midland Baptist Association was appointed Trustees of the Barrow upon Soar Baptist Chapel.

Written up by:J and A Bright Solicitors, ! Pepper St Nottingham

Sealed 29 October County_ Leicester Parish_ Barrow upon Soar Charity_ Baptist Chapel, burial ground and Trust Property.

CHARITY COMMISSION

On the application made in writing signed by George Hubbard of No 17 Council St, Walton , near Peterborough, retired railway servant; the Trustee of the Board of Charity Commissioners for England and Wales.

In the matter of the Charity consisting of the Baptist Chapel, Burial Ground and Trust property, in the parish of Barrow upon Soar, in the County of Leicester,comprised of the following indentures or some or one of them:

Indenture dated 13 April 1822:9th November 1872;10April 1879;23 May 1902;4 March 1903; and in the matter of 'The Charitable Trusts Acts 1853-1914.'

Do hereby order as follows :

The Subjoined Scheme is approved and established or the regulation of the Charity.

1. The above mentioned Charity and the endowment thereof shall be administered and managed subject to and in conformity with the provisions of this Scheme.

2. The following persons are hereby appointed to Be the first Trustees of the Charity under this Scheme:

The above named George Hubbard and John Thomas Ball , Builder

Richard Henry Bennett, Assistant Overseer

Frederick William Earl , Lime Works Manager

John Edmund Frier, Mechanic 

John Alfred Lee, Chauffeur

Harry York Station Master : all of Barrow

Thomas Simpkin of Derby Square Loughborough, in the County of Leicester, Boot Manufacturer.

James Smith of Charles Street Sileby, in the County of Leicester, Signalman

Thomas Clayton Dexter of Farnham Street Woodworker

George Gamble of Nursery lane, Builder

Henry Hulse North of Loughborough Road, Provision Dealer and

Herbert Holmes Speight of Loughborough Road, clerk:all of Quorndon in the County of Leicester.

and so the said

Thomas Clayton Dexter

George Gamble

Henry Hulse North and Herbert Holmes Speight

shall be deemed to have been appointed on the nomination of the Church assembling for worship in the Baptist Chapel in the parish of Quorndon, comprised in an Indenture dated 26 November 1770............so followed 23 other points

With regard to the Charity Commission in the matter of the charity consisting of the Baptist Chapel, Burial Ground and Trust Property in the Parish of Barrow-upon-Soar, in the County of Leicester, regulated by a Scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 29 October 1920, and In the Matter of the Charity Commissioners for England and Wales , upon an application made to them on the 1 September 1939, in writing signed by:

John Thomas Ball Builder

Richard Henry Bennett Assistant Overseer

Frederick William Earl Lime Works Manager

John Edmund Frier Mechanic

John Alfred Lee Chauffeur all of Barrow

Thomas Clayton Dexter of Farnham St. Woodworker

George Gamble of Nursery lane Builder

Henry Hulse North of Loughborough Rd Provision Dealer

Herbert Holmes Speight of Loughborough Rd Clerk all of Quorn in the County of Leicester

James Smith of Lusby Highgate Rd Sileby in the County of Leicester

Harry York of Barrow, Denmead Rd, Bournemouth, in the County of Southampton, retired Station Master

The Trustees of the above mentioned charity.

Sealed by Order of the Board on 24 November 1939

that 1. the above mentioned Charity and the endowments thereof shall henceforth be administered by the body corporate called the East Midland Baptist Association(incorporated) as the Trustees of the Charity.

2. The above mentioned Chapel, Burial Ground and Trust Property , with the appurtenances, shall forthwith vest in the said body corporate for all the estate and interest herein belonging or to or held in trust for the Charity.


Previous menu page: 2. Biographical notes
Next page: 4. Opening of first church buildings 1822

 

Last Updated. 21-February-2017 By admin