North Street Residents 1920 - 1950

(As remembered by Mrs Marion Kimber nee Lockwood)

From Corner of Cotes Road & North Street

  • Mr and Mrs lIiffe - dwelling and veg shop.
  • Mr and Mrs Morgan - dwelling and cobblers shop.
  • Mr and Mrs Neal, Mrs Dilkes, Mrs Roadley. Mrs Wall. Terrace of houses ..
  • Rectory Farm, Crew Yard, Barn and general farm buildings.
  • Clarence House ( Hubbard's). Then a yard next door with thatched roof cottages, dwellings of Mr and Mrs James, Mr and Mrs Spencer, Mr and Mrs Soars. Cottage dwelling of Mr Fox
  • A row of terraced cottages with shop at one end - Mr and Mrs Newby and Mrs Basford who also ran the shop.
  • Coalhill Yard - which is where the Library stands. There were 9 cottages in the Yard which was L shaped with toilets in the middle.
  • Next was Page's Fish Shop, which also sold veg. There were 2 cottages behind the shop.
  • Then Mrs Wells' drapers shop and Mrs Ferrin's cottage behind.
  • Salter's Lane with a cottage and wooden bungalow.
  • Mr and Mrs Lockwood's butcher's shop and a cottage.
  • Then Mrs Thompson's shop and then Mr and Mrs Hands' and Mr and Mrs Ives' houses.
  • Farmyard, barn and crew yard.
  • 3 cottages next to The Fox Inn.
  • Small barn and yard.
  • Monkey Row (terraced houses). Bill and Tom Dilkes, Mrs Heggs,Mr and Mrs Cliffe, Mr and Mrs Spencer, A Shelton, Mrs Buckingham, Mr and Mrs Hallam.
  • Then the entrance to Wakefield.
  • Cottage with tin roof - home of Mr and Mrs West.
  • Row of cottages -Mr and Mrs Smith. Mr and Mrs Taylor, Mr and Mrs Whiteman, Mrs Burt, Mr and Mrs Lacey, Mrs Burgess.
  • Three or four cottages, still known as Town End.

Across The Road

  • Large single house - Bryan.
  • Breadcroft Lane.
  • Lime Kiln Public House ( later The Trap).
  • Mrs Gubb's house.
  • Sharpes' Bike and Wireless shop.
  • Row of houses - Mr and Mrs Morrell, Mr and Mrs Sauly, Mr and Mrs Gudgings, then an entry, then Mr and Mrs Clarke and Mrs Williamson.
  • Lewins General Store and Bakehouse.
  • Entry to yard with 4 houses. Mr and Mrs Lacey, Mrs Reeves - there used to be a farmhouse at the rear of these houses.
  • Entrance to farm.
  • Terraced houses - Mr and Mrs Lewin, R Ferrin, Mr and Mrs Lovett
  • Burrows shop - general store.
  • Old Ladies Hospital.
  • Shop.
  • The Royal Oak - Mr and Mrs Williamson.
  • Cottage adjoining Methodist Chapel.
  • Drive to Conservative Club.
  • Cottages- Miss Page (Infant School Teacher), Mr and Mrs Shelton, Neal, Cobbler's shop, Church Lane, Chippendale House, Perkins Yard (Builders). The house there was once used for the TOC.H, the Library and the school dentist.

Previous menu page: No. 68 High Street
Next page: No. 8 - 10 North Street

 

Last Updated. 10-January-2016 By admin