001 Wall Tablet - Tom Stone d 1923

Location:  South Side of Chancel

 

This memorial is shaped like a letter T. Composed of a framed wooden box with a carved moulding all the way round, the top of the T is made up of a carved open frieze of circles in an open framework . Below this is a top band of relief carving within the frame’s moulding with the words/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ in Stylised Gothic large Caps.. Below a frame of bead moulding the first panel carries the name and dates of the deceased, carved in relief in Modernised Roman Caps; the second panel carries the donor’s details and below another  row of bead moulding splitting the panel into the third part of the text. The bottom two panels are incised in Modernised Roman Caps. The inside band of bead moulding ends with a stylised column and base. The outer T shape contains carved foliage and roses in small spaced areas around it . The bottom edge falls away to a ledge sitting on three corbels.  

  1. Oak
  2. First quarter of 20th century
  3. h.107cm    w. 86cm      d.8cm          (ie : 42”×38”×3”
  4. -.
  5. Rev Stone was vicar of Barrow for 19 years. He died at the age of 64 on 15th September 1923. His wife Ada came from Norfolk and they were married in 1891 in Norfolk. Their son Leut. Tom Pearse Clifford Stone was killed in Mesopotamia at the age of 24 on  5th December 1917. His father conducted the funeral service for the village men who died in the First World War. He was held in  high esteem by village people and lived locally at Rectory Farm
  6. Top Rail     TO. THE. GLORY. OF. GOD

First Panel   IN EVER AFFECTIONATE/MEMORY OF/ TOM STONE/PRIEST/VICAR OF THIS PARISH/1904-1923

Second Panel  THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED /BY THOSE TO WHOM HE/MINISTERED IN TOKEN OF/THEIR LOVE AND GRATITUDE

Third Panel   “ETERNAL REST GRANT HIM/O LORD:/AND LET LIGHT PERPETUAL/SHINE UPON HIM


Previous menu page: Holy Trinity Parish Church Memorials
Next page: 002. Ledger Stone - Ralph Smalley d.1738

 

Last Updated. 28-October-2016 By admin