028. Wall Plaque - Col. Edward Chippindall & Rev. William Leighton Newham

Location:  Choir Vestry

 

Col. Edward Chippindall and Rev. William Leighton Newham      

  1. A rectangular brass plaque, attached to the wall of the vestry by a raised knob, 2.5 cms in diameter, in each corner. The black inscription is written in Versals, incised and in capitals.
  2. 1st quarter 20th century
  3. Polished brass
  4. H.  25 cm x W. 51cm x D. 0.5 cm
  5.  –
  6.  Hackett, Leicester
  7. Lieutenant General Edward Chippindall CB was born on 4th October 1827. He lived in Barrow for many years in Chippindall House, North Street, next door to the Hammer and Pincers pub, now The Blacksmith’s Restaurant. He died at the home of friends in Essex on 12th September 1902 (according to the Green Howards’ Gazette, Vol X No. 115 October, 1902, Portsmouth). However, the date recorded on the memorial plaque is, September 14th, 1902.

    He had a most distinguished career in the army; he served in the Sikh Wars, in India from 1845 – 49 and served continuously in the Crimea for the whole of the campaign, he was awarded the Knight of the Legion of Honour. He had distinguished service in the Hazara campaign during the Indian Mutiny in 1868 and was mentioned in despatches. He gave up command of the 2nd Battalion in January 1868, was put on half pay and was appointed to the command of the Brigade Depot in Leicester, in 1878. 

    He was Aide de Camp to Queen Victoria from August 1872 to February 1883, was awarded the Commander of the Bath and the medal with clasp. He was promoted to the General’s list in 1883 and was placed on the retired list with the rank of Lieutenant-General in December, 1886. Colonel, Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment 19th Foot) from 16th November 1896.                     *See Photograph  below.

    The second of the two men was the Reverend William Leighton Newham, born in 1822 in Glasgow.  A graduate of Cambridge University he became the Vicar of Holy Trinity in 1854, the same year in which he married his wife Adelaide.  They lived in the Vicarage and during their 35 years there they had 11 children. He was a trustee of Humphrey Perkins School and was responsible for radical changes to the endowment for this school and through Chancery was able to use some of the endowment to begin an elementary school in Barrow. The Reverend Newham and his wife left Barrow in 1889 and spent a year in Aldworth, Berks, before retiring to Nicosia, Cyprus where their son Frank was a chaplain and director of the English School.

    Reverend Newham died in Nicosia in 1903 and is buried in Barrow upon Soar Cemetery (Plot grave A 42). He left £3943 1s 7d.

  8.  Date of the gift, 1907 The memorial was put up to commemorate the lives of two men who lived in Barrow and left money to the church. The money was used to build the vestry and the organ chamber above it at a cost of £1,500. These were completed in 1907 and the memorial put in place the same year
  9. TO THE GLORY OF GOD/AND IN MEMORY OF/LIEUTENANT GENERAL EDWARD CHIPPINDALL, C.B./WHO DIED SEPT, 14TH, 1902, AGED 75 YEARS AND/WILLIAM LEIGHTON NEWHAM, M.A.,CLERK IN HOLY ORDERS,/FOR 35 YEARS VICAR OF THIS PARISH, WHO DIED OCT 16TH, 1903/AGED 81 YEARS, THE VESTRIES AND ORGAN CHAMBER WERE ERECTED,/1907.
  10.  10. Refs;
             The Green Howards’s Gazette, Vol X, 115, October 1902
             Barrowuponsoarwarmemorial.co.uk   
             List of Vicars displayed in the church,
             Lynne Brookes  
             The History of Humphrey Perkins School  
             Ancestry.co.uk