THE CEMETERY CHAPEL
The Burial Board was formed in 1893 when the then Church Wardens were given notice of the Churchyard closure.
It's seven members searched the Parish and the Cotes Road land was purchased from the Hospital Charity. The cost of the Cemetery grounds and Chapel was £1,700.00.
In 1894 the first Parish Council was elected and the Burial Board was transferred to it in 1895.
The Cemetery was dedicated on 30 March 1895 and the first burial of Mrs Fanny Jacques took place on 21 April 1895.
The care and maintenance of the Cemetery Chapel and Grounds remains in the hands of the Parish Council and it was decided to light, heat and decorate this lovely Victorian building to bring it back into use for our parishioners.
The chapel is open several times a year including Easter Sunday, Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Rememberance Sunday. If you get the chance to go inside it is well worth a visit, there is also a visitors book to sign.