The present owner, Mr Mark Bowles, purchased the farm in 1999 from the Leicestershire County Council: it had not been lived in for 50 years. It can be seen on a map in the Parish Council office from circa 1890 as a named farm.
The property was originally a 2 up 2 down building. It was rebuilt ten years ago and was extended into the animal housing /milking area, using stone from the original farm.
Three sunken wells were found during reconstruction, also artefacts such as various coins, lead figures etc.
The land is arable but the present owners mainly specialise in rare breeds such as the Pedigree Dexter Cattle of which there are about 6o. There are also some sheep. The farm is set back along Cotes Rd just outside the village.
Census data- Ryecroft Farm occupants between 1891-1948
1890- John Clarke
1901-1928 Joseph Johnson (born 1844 died aged 85)
1928-1936 Edward Weston Gregory (Sarah and William Gregory)
1938-1947 Winifred Barkes and Edward and Sarah Gregory
1948 Edward Weston Gregory
|Ryecroft Farm before conversion||Ryecroft Farm after conversion||Dexter Cattle|