From a bi- centenary service of the formation of the Loughborough Group by General Baptist Connexion from which the present Churches have sprung.
General Baptist witness in these parts goes back to 1755 when the Barton preachers , who up to that time had been Independents, accepted the tenet of Believers Baptism and gradually built up a large Baptist community with members in many towns and villages.
The Loughborough Church had its first meeting place in the town, but its members were spread throughout Quorn, Leake, Wymeswold, Widmerpool, Grimston and other adjacent villages.
In 1766 preaching was introduced, and in 1770 a meeting house was erected at Quorn. The year 1780 saw a preaching station established at Rothley and about the same time a house was licenced for public worship at Woodhouse Eaves. Though having various preaching stations the church was still one , but by 1782 the continuing growth necessitated a division into two groups. Loughborough and the neighbouring villages became one group and Wymeswold and Leake the other.
The divine blessing continued to rest upon the efforts of the Loughborough Church and in 1788 work was commenced at Mountsorrel and soon after at Swithland. During the years 1792-96 preaching stations were opened at Barrow and several other places.
In the earliest Minute Book of General Baptists Loughborough 1790-1800 the first minute actually referring to Barrow:
"At a meeting held at Loughborough on 19th Jnuary 1794 to choose ruling elders. Along with the villages of Woodhouse, Swithland, Rothley and Mountsorrell , Barrow was to have an Elder.
Following thet meeting it was agreed that nominations -'helps ' in Church government, five for our villages, ie one for Barrow, agreed at meeting and chosen at the Quorn meeting on 16 February 1794, a William Spittlehouse:actually six were chosen, giving Swithland two.
At a meeting held on 9 March 1794, the church enquired how long the chosen 'helps' should contnue in office, it was also considered what they should do in addition to visiting and exhorting the people:firstly they should have care of conversions of the candidates and secondly arrange time of Baptsms and notify the church.
At a meeting held on 6 April 1794, it was arranged that the Officers and 'helps' should meet in the vestry at Quorn regularly once a month"
Here we see the beginning of the organised church as it began to grow here at Barrow and in the area.
Mr Mee in the history of 'Quorn Baptists writes:
"After the separation of Loughborough and Quorn in 1802-3 Quorn was given the oversight of the members of Mountsorrel, Barrow, Woodthorpe, Walton and later Woodhouse"
"Barrow was considered a branch church until 1820 (as quoted in the Baptist Handbook) A minute for 15 October 1891 refers to the withdrawal from Quorn in order that Barrow could secure the help of a larger church.